Thursday, June 14, 2007

Driving Licences

Monday is a relatively quiet day, at work I am asked to do some more technical interviews. I am finding that there are very few people around with storage skills. I know I was told that before I came over but seeing it is a different matter.

Kerry sorts out Kaylas Kindergarden and she will start on Wednesday.

On Tuesday morning we have the appointment at Vic Roads for our driving licences. We have our appointments at 9.15 and 9.30. On looking at the map we realise that after dropping Lauren off at school we won't have time to get from to Vic Roads on time. Cunning plan, Kerry drops me off at 8.30, I'll hang around until my appointment and that will give Kerry 30 mins to get back.

I get dropped off ok but Kerry on the way back to the school takes a wrong turn (despite me giving her the directions back). I am blissfully unaware as I fill in the application form, apparantly they will just punch a hole in our UK licences and just give us Victoria ones. No need for any driving tests. I am sorted within five minutes, I take my form to the nice lady who runs through it, then sends me to the cashier to pay the fee. Then I go to another desk where they take your photo and 2 minutes later you have your licence. Kerry calls to let me know she got lost and will be a few minutes late. Eventually she arrives and it's no big deal they sort Kerry's licence out just as quick.

Now I have my driving licence I can now open my super annuation account (pension) as they need both a passport and photo id (Uk licence is not valid on a super fund). Oh no I can't they now tell me I need my TFN which still hasn't arrived!!!

Oh well each step is one step closer to being sorted.

On Wednesday I need to go to the Immgration office to get our visa's witnessed. I go lunchtime thinking I will have enough time as the close at 1.30 on Wednesdays. It is a fair old walk to the office and I arrive...oh my word, the place is packed. There are queus everywhere. I get in a queue to go to the first desk. I a given a raffle ticket and told to wait. The ticket number is E167.
At first I thought I would get there quickly as I only need the visa's witnessed the rest must be applying for theirs...how wrong I was. The queueing system took me a little while to work out but basically there were 26 desks each desk would look after the one of the letters on the ticket, luckily there were not all 26 letters in the alphabet in use. They then increased in number order. I then noticed a few others had different letters and there numbers were close to being called. Then came the first one with the letter E called..."E85 please go to counter 8". My heart sank I had over 80 people in front of me in the queue. As time went by more counters opened up to deal with the amount of people with the tickets starting with E. I eventually go to the counter and had all the visa's witnessed.

Kaylas first day at nursery went ok, she found it hard for Kerry to leave her but made a little friend called Ella.

No comments: