Monday, June 4, 2007

Tuesday 8th May - Day 2

I wake up feeling a bit better. The girls are still fast asleep. I tell Kerry to get some phone's (we have to get PAYG as we have no address), and get Kerry to call the agents over some houses we had seen advertised.
I hobble to work. I now have a temporary desk as someone is on holiday. I still don't have a pc but it is promised by the end of the day. I have a temporary pass which doesn't let me in anyware. So I have to tailgate everyone. I do have one major problem though...the toilet. I can get to them through the door ok but the problem is you need to swipe to get out back onto the floor.

I help Vasantha do some work. I have found out that the storae estate on the account I'm working on is a bit of a mess to say the least. The amount of servers/authentications you seem to have to go through is just unbelievable. There must be at least 20 Arrays IBM manage now with quite a few new DMX-3 coming online shortly. The legacy arrays are all full and the plan is to migrate 40% of the storage off the legacy arrays onto the new DMX-3's and that will give them room to grow. I think when I get sorted I will be busy.

I try to help where I can but I feel pretty useless at the moment. I am then told that I can dress down, there is no need for suits. IBM are pretty relaxed about dress code unless you meet the customers.

Another Rob has offered me some toys for Lauren and Kayla to play with, so he'll bring them in tomorrow for me. At last at the end of the day I get my laptop. Tomorrow I can start to sort myself out. I am then given a locker so I don't have to lug everything around with me. IBM have a clear desk policy.

Another very pleasant sunny day. No clouds and really peaceful. My first impressions of Melbourne are very good. Everyone wants to help you.

I leave and enjoy (apart from my feet killing me) the walk back to the hotel. Kerry has got some mobiles, so at least we can talk. Hang on no we can't we need to register them. So I then spend the next couple of hours on the complimentry Internet (which cuts you off after 30 mins...really annoying when you are trying to sort something out and you lose it all). Still it's sorted and Kerry starts to ring the agents regarding houses. We realise that we are due to move out of the hotel the nxt morning so Kerry extends our stay till the weekend.

I quick bite to eat and off to bed...

No comments: